Why Christians Should Take
A Stand Against Pornography
This article focuses on the social results of hard-core pornography. These reasons were sent to the Townsville Bulletin as part of a petition to have advertisements for xxx video services removed from the paper. The paper promptly complied and the ads were removed. You may use these reasons as part of any local church based campaign against pornography. The Biblical reasons are not discussed here but are outlined in the next article.
If you believe that no one was corrupted by a book, you have also to believe that no one was ever improved by a book (or a play or a movie). You have to believe, in other words, that all art is morally trivial and that, consequently, all education is morally irrelevant. (Irving Kristol, Pornography, Obscenity, and the Case for Censorship)
1. There are more outlets for pornography in the United States than McDonald's restaurants.(This is a statistic from the National Coalition Against Pornography.)
2. A child is sexually molested every 47 seconds in the United States. As many as 90% of the abused children questioned revealed that they were shown adult hard-core pornography prior to molestation. (Children's Legal Foundation)
3. Six hundred American males and females of junior high school age and above were interviewed about their 'out-in-real-life involvement with pornography'. It found that 91% of the males and 82% of the females admitted having been exposed to X-rated, hard-core pornography."Two-thirds of the males and 40% of the females reported wanting to try out some of the sexual behaviors they had witnessed. Among high school students, 31% of the males and 18% of the females admitted actually doing some of the things sexually they had seen in the pornography within a few days after exposure....
4. Interviews have revealed that 87% of child molesters admit to regular use of pornography: 77% of all child molesters of boys and 87% of molesters of girls admitted using pornography and imitating the sexual behavior in the pornographic material when they committed their crimes. Death row inmates have admitted that their rape and murder assaults were directly related to years of exposure to pornography.
5. Pornography is a $3 Billion-a-year business. (FBI statistic)
6. Recently a Canadian study reported that teenagers (ages 12-17) were among the most interested in pornography. Dr. Aaron Hass conducted a study for the UCLA School of Medicine and interviewed some 625 young people. His findings revealed that those in this age group (12-17), were the primary ones pornographers aimed at. Other studies confirmed that more than 46% of American Junior High students were watching X-rated pornographic movies.
This article may be freely reproduced for non-profit ministry purposes but may not be sold in any way. For permission to use articles in your ministry, e-mail the editor, John Edmiston at email@example.com.